Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Roots+Badu = Unbelievable


Goodmorning...I want to apologize for taking so long to update you on the remarkable, amazing and soulful concert of the one and only Ms. Badu and The Roots. I went to her concert last Friday with my sis who came in town and my hip hop head homeboy. Of course we were running late.!! So once we entered the The Chicago Theatre we were struggling to find our seats. Surprisingly we had better seats than we expected! As we wlked down on the floor to get settled in we were greeted by The raw instruments of The RooTs spitting there new single "Rising Up." I was astonished how talented these cats were live. They were interactive in the crowd and led every person who purchased a ticket to stand up and jam, no matter what age you are. Blackthought was tearing up the lyrics and then putting themm back together all in one verse. Throughout there performance you can feel the vibe that they are true artists and they genuinely love to perform. The guitarist from The Roots who goes by Capt. Kirk. tore up my all time favorite song "You Got Me" Erykah hadn't come out yet so he had a gitar solo and this man vocals was ridiculous! This man began to scat and dance across the stage while playing the guitar..he seriously stole the The Roots performance.



After about a 15min intermission the crowd became extremely impatient because we all were eager to see the queen herself. About 5 minutes later her back up singers slid out first and than she slowly crept out from the backstage in a layered taffeta dress and topped it off with a small black church hat. It was screamed out "Badu!' This woman performed for 2 1/2 hours straight! Her performance consisted of selections form "New Amerykah" back to classic sounds of "On& On". One of the highlights of her performance was when she mixed interpret/modern dance as she performed "Green Eyes". When I say she was moving all over a she was honestly spinning , leaps, unique stretches I mean it, she worked it out. She came back out and ended the concert with a snippet of her classic songs she didn't hit such as Next Lifetime, Call Tyrone, In Love with You(which I would have fainted if she sang the entire song. But what I loved the most is when she ended her set with Telephone and went into the crowd and allowed the audience to sing with her. She was even clowning on this brotha's vocals who was clearly intoxicated. We were sitting in the middle so I couldn't allow my beautiful vocal skills to shine through! clearly I sound a mess)1 But I would have pretended I had a voice to jam out with Erykah. One can automatically tell that she is down to earth and has so much meaning behind her lyrics. I would close my eyes randomly throughout the concert and her voice sounded just as pure as it sounded on her albums. Beautiful. One word to describe the concert,...Peace and Blessings,,God Bless.

No comments: