Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Do you want to be One?

object width="425" height="344">


Good Evening Beautiful Ones, I know in my last post I stated my next posts were not going to be music related but I truly had a need to address this controversial single from Nas. I have to state I respect the fact that Nas holds so much knowledge and is not selfish when it comes to sharing uplifting information to raise up his people. Nas continues to hit in depth topics with each album that is released even if the delivery is graceful or rash.


I have to admit when the world spotted Nas with his flawless and creative spouse, Kelis sporting the word "NiggeR" as a walking Billboard on the Grammy Red carpet, I was a tad bit distraught. I was actually irate with the fact that he was throwing around this word with so much hatred, anger and pain as if it was an appropriate greeting that could be found on a welcome doormat. The first time I turned the song on I could not listen to it all the way through because my blood pressure was rising with every nonchalant "nigger" that was being thrown around in the lyrical delivery of Mr. Nassir Jones. I was utterly turned off and somewhat disgusted.


In the back of my mind I honestly knew that Nas has too much knowledge and I knew there was a hidden message past the upfront ignorance use of the word. I finally had a chance to catch the full version of this video and honestly it made the message fall in place for me. The video for me pretty much broke down the message on how I perceive the song. I have honestly been playing this song on repeat just so I can pull out every creative bit from this song. In fact I'm listening to it right now as I type.


In my 19 years of living I have been blessed to have been introduced to numerous cultures and offered knowledge at such a young age. One of the blessings I have received from my Heavenly Father was the talent to observe/study others and being able to piece together their behavior. Everyone actions has been triggered by an event or an environment that surrounded them. Since elementary to High School I was introduced to ignorance being in an predominately white area and an equal ignorance when I enrolled in A HBCU. I know reside in a mixed environment where it seems as the same ignorance lives. In each one of these environments it was vital to create the person I am now. When living and growing up in a predominately white area I was smacked in the face with the ignorance of people still being afraid of difference and disregarded anything that they did not see on a day to day basis. This was good for me because you saw racism slapped in your face on a regular. There was no hiding. It was in your face hate for other cultures and anyone with an unique mentality.


When I decided to attend an HBCU about 2 years ago I was ecstatic to be engulfed in the rich culture of my people. There was not a doubt in my mind that I was going to be introduced by black power fists and natural coils. To my surprise it was the complete opposite and mostly assimilation was taking place on the campus.


In both environments I found myself being around people suffering from identity crisis. In the environment I see that people see it is a hot trend now to indulge themselves in the Black Culture. What Nas portrays wuth his lyrics and his video that even though many people want to be part of our culture there is still much pain and history behind the word. Its funny because both black and whites are never satisfied with there culture and are always trying emulate the other. Blacks are trying to get away from the word and culture by weaving it up, plastering themselves with old white designers who probably wouldn't want them to wear there items no way and losing sight of there past. You have whites who think its appealing to blast the newest Wayne (in which they think that represents hip hop), misspelling words on purpose, and saying every other word in our culture eagerly waiting until society allows them to say the word "nigger."



So I wrote all this to say do not write off Nas just yet. Even though with each chorus you may cringe, You need to listen to this thought provoking song. And realize that the disease of identity crisis; is running rapid. In no way I feel as if he was glorifying the word but showing the world that if you want to be a "nigger" here is what you must endure- The Pain of The Past, The Prejudice of Present and the Frustration of the Future...Think about It..God Bless.


1 comment:

Muze said...

man ... this made me think.

great post.

i too was appalled by nas and kelis sporting the N word like it was the latest pair of jordans.

now that i've read your post, i just may go listen to the song. i mean, i knew it wasn't going to be anything ignorant, after all it IS nas...

but still.

and that last line... girl, preach.

hope all is well.

i think this just may be my flyy post of the week.

peaces!