Tuesday, May 12, 2009

It's All In the Name


Greetings! As I am cooking my dinner (a frozen pizza in the oven) I was thinking of an old conversation I had with some of my homegirls. It was a pretty random and laid back debate but still interesting nonetheless.


As a single strong minded (maybe stubborn) female, I'm known as the harsh one when it comes to my friends. I cannot even tell you how many interventions I had in the past two months to cut males some slack. Hmm I think not. I have the right to have standards and if you cannot meet them you will be dismissed,....no hard feelings:0


But anyways me and my roommate were talking about names a male calls you when he is attracted to you. Sweetie, Babes, Boo, Sugar, Lovie, Honeydip, Chocolate kisses...whatever you catch my drift. I asked her how she felt about these little pet names that people give to each other when they are together. Her response was that she thinks its a sweet gesture when a guy gives her a name. She apparently loves being called "Babe" and loves to use "Boo" for whoever male she is with at the time.


My Turn. She asked me how I felt about the sweet little nicknames. I had to ponder on it for a moment.Hmmmm let me see my favorite name for a male to call me is ................................................my own! After an eye roll and a chuckle from my roommate I realized that I even call males by their real names. I was never a fan of calling a male my boo, my love, my sweeite- all negative!


In all honesty my favorite name a male can call me is my own. I feel as if these little pet names are not only kind of lame but slightly generic. I'm sure every female that the guy ever talked to he has used that same nickname for all his girls. It's so much in a name. I can honestly say that I Love to hear a male just to call me Ellisa . I don't think it's cold or rude. I feel as if its more personable than all these other pet names.


My friends insisted that I'm heartless and that I am "guy" when it comes to showing affection.



Hmm Is it just Me??


"I never call you my bitch or even my boo

There's so much in a name and so much more in you"

-Common, The Light


Miracles & Blessings


God Bless

2 comments:

Thevisionarybutterfly said...

I never thought in a million years I would refer to my husband as 'daddy' and he inturn calls me 'baby' or 'mommy' having a kid does that I guess.

Miss Oyewo said...

Hmm maybe you're right..I'll probably change my mind when I actually am with someone I love and have a family with(which seems impossible):0