Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Why Have A Dream Deferred?



Lights Out!! No literally my lights and power were all knocked out last night by a storm that hit our neighborhood. Not only did our power shut off, but about a half of minute later my cell phone battery died in a middle of a refreshing conversation. So this left me in a candle lit living room contemplating on life with the presence of my mother and sister. This morning I was less than delighted to wake up to find our only source of light was the gloomy sky that sunk into our house. After running early morning errands and complaining to my mother that death was creeping around the corner in the form of boredom. I decided to be half way productive with the only passing time I could think of ..Read. Now, I do enjoy reading and expanding my everyday thoughts. But as they say the hardest step you take is usually the first. That is my issue with reading. I always seem to preoccupy my mind with soo many thoughts its often difficult for me to pick up a book and allow my thoughts to be guided by the author.

I had began reading The Alchemist about a week ago when my best recommended that I give it a chance. I was not doing anything else with my life so I had nothing to lose. So I set out to the front yard, laid out on our swing and got fully consumed with the book. The only reason why I didn't finish the book was because the warm sun encouraged me to doze off. So it was funny when our power went out because I felt as it was God's way of saying I needed to complete this book. And oh how He was right.

This book is a simple read but holds intense power in all 167 pages. This book explains the journey one goes through to reach ones dreams or as the book refers to it as your Personal Legend. The story is expressed in parable form. The story is about a Shepherd that keeps having repetitive dreams of finding a treasure by the Egyptian Pyramid. He then goes through different hardships, joys, and life lessons to achieve what God had prepared for him. I don't want to give away the story because I encourage every male, female, cat, dog, everyone to read this book and allow it to motivate you to continue to fight for your True purpose in life. I'm just going to hit some of the points that I took away after finishing this book...


  • To find your true dreams go back to your childhood. This was an interesting truth that appeared to me. It stated as young children we have clear dreams of what we want to be in this world. From an astronaut, to a singer to a model ..these are all passions that bursts into our spirit as youth before we are tainted by society. Once we grow older and older both society and ourselves make each one our dreams seem as if it is unobtainable to reach. So as adults we begin to settle what makes sense of the standards society has set.

  • Fear of Failure is the top reason people don't pursue there Personal Legend. Many people have built up fear in themselves that they think once you fail once in life, your life is officially over. This is so far from the truth that it hurts. People have to realize your failures in life is what makes us strong enough to hold the success that God has in store for your life. Live and learn.

  • People feel as if they are not worthy of achieving there dreams. In the Introduction it stated that people sabotage themselves on purpose once they see there dream insight. In our minds we see how not everyone has not been blessed to achieve there dreams and feel guilty when we can actually achieve our own.

  • Do not be so focused on your dream that you miss out on the present Blessings and Life Lessons that the Lord is providing you with at that moment. As a people we often are extreme. We either are so focused on our goal that we miss out on our everyday blessings that is shaping us or we only live for today and have not true direction in our life. Its all about Balance.

  • Everyone's Personal Legend is different. If you keep interfering with others dreams or try to mock them you will never reach your own. Follow your spirit and follow the path that God has carved out just for you.

  • True Love will never make you give up your dream. We often sacrifice our dreams for the people we love in our lives fearing that we will lose them. When we sacrifice our dreams for love we often become secretly bitter with ourselves because are dream is out of reach. If we are blessed to find true love it will be able to withstand many miles. Loved ones want to see you achieve your dreams and will often encourage you and not hold you back.

  • Follow and listen to your heart. It's that simple

I really do encourage you to read this book. Trust me you will be Blessed. I honestly believe God knocked out our power on purpose just so I could complete the book. I finished the book and dozed off to be greeted by a bright shining lamp in my face. Listen to God....God Bless.


2 comments:

Al said...

glad you enjoyed the book! Seems like good lessons learned all around. Maktub young oyewo, maktub.

HONEYMAMii91 said...

It sounds like a good book. I might check it out.